Kouun-ji is a sub-temple of Nanzen-ji, near the south end of the Philosopher’s path. Founded in 1212 in Osaka, it moved to Kyoto in 1661. The temple used to be much larger, but was destroyed by fire (possibly during the Onin war) and a part of it was rebuilt at the time of the Meiji restoration. The garden itself was only created in the early 20th century by landscape gardener Jihei Ogawa, in the chisen-kaiyu style (pond with surrounding path). Above left: Dry garden in front of the temple. Above right: Gardener pruning a pine tree.